The mission of the Adventure Cycling Association is to inspire and empower people to travel by bicycle. May 31 through June 2 has been designated as the fourth annual Bike Travel Weekend, when we're joining them to encourage anyone to try taking an overnight trip by bicycle.
On June 1, 2019, we've planned a Bike Camp-Out Ride, and YOU are invited! Space is limited to 25 people!
Here's how the Bike Camp-Out Ride will work:
- Click here to register yourself and any family members. There is no cost to participate, but you must pre-register.
- Between now and Saturday, June 1, make sure you've got the necessary camping gear and related stuff (see below).
- On June 1 around 3:00pm, we'll depart on our bikes from the Century Cycles store in Peninsula.
- We'll ride about 28 miles to the campground at West Branch State Park outside Ravenna. The route is a combination of busy main roads, quiet back roads, and some bike path. We've updated the route from last year to include more miles on bike paths and fewer miles on busy roads. Still, if you are not comfortable riding this distance on roads shared with motor vehicles, then this event is not for you!
- When we arrive at the camp site, we'll set up our tents and hang out around the camp fire.
- Dinner and beverages will be provided, but feel free to bring some snacks and beverages for yourself and/or to share.
- The next morning (Sunday, June 2), we'll wake up, pack up our gear, and ride back to Peninsula. We may stop for breakfast along the way, but you are responsible for your own breakfast.
What to Bring
Here is our suggested list of what you'll need to pack for a basic one-night bike camping trip:
- You will need your own bicycle.
- Helmet (required)
- Headlight and taillight (required)
- Water bottles with water or sports drink
- Bike lock
- Cycling clothing (appropriate for the weather)
- Casual clothing for hanging out at camp
- Camp sleeping pad
- Sleeping bag
- Camp pillow
- Headlamp or flashlight for getting around the campsite after dark
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, medications, any other personal items and toiletries you need
- Mosquito repellent spray
- Optional: Snacks and beverages for the evening and morning
West Branch State Park Campground Facilities
- Water: There is running water available that is safe for drinking, cooking, and washing.
- Restrooms: There is a pit toilet near the camp site, without running water. A short walk from the camp site is a full-service indoor restroom, with running water, flush toilets, and showers.
- Fire: We'll use the fire ring at the camp site for roasting hot dogs, marshmallows, etc. You may bring your own camp stove if you'd like to prepare your own food.
- Recreation: There are hiking trails, a disc golf course, and a playground a short walk from the camp site. The mountain bike trail is about 3½ miles from the camp site.
Join us and have fun!
If you've never taken an overnight trip on your bike before, it's FUN and EASIER than you think! Our staff are bike-camping enthusiasts, and will be there to help you every step of the way. We've taken numerous Sub 24-Hour Overnights ourselves, and have even written an article on the subject for a local fitness magazine!
Photos from previous Bike Travel Weekend events