On June 3, 2017, we're transforming our Night Ride on the Towpath Trail into a Bike Camp-Out Night Ride! Space is limited to 32 people!
(NOTE: The camping is totally OPTIONAL. If you don't want to camp out, you are still welcome to attend our regular Night Ride on the Towpath Trail.)
Here's how the Bike Camp-Out Night Ride will work:
- Click here to register yourself and any family members. The cost is $10 per person.
- Between now and Saturday, June 3, make sure you've got the necessary camping gear and related stuff.
- On June 3 between 6:00 and 7:00pm, park your car at Heritage Farms (6050 Riverview Road in Peninsula), and set up your tent and other camping gear.
- Ride your bike the short distance down to the Century Cycles store in Peninsula (about 1/2 mile) to join the Night Ride on the Towpath Trail.
- We'll leave for the Night Ride at 8:00pm sharp. We'll ride on the car-free Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail with the regular Night Riders for about 7 miles down to the Botzum Trailhead, then turn around and head back to Peninsula.
- Campers will head up to Heritage Farms (a short stretch of road riding will be required again) to enjoy campfire stories and snacks before turning in for the night.
- Feel free to bring some post-ride snacks and beverages for yourself and/or to share.
- The next morning (Sunday, June 4), wake up at your leisure, pack up your gear, and head home.
What to Bring
Okay, so technically this isn't "bike-camping," but "car-camping with a bike ride!" That will make it a little easier to pack, and you won't have to worry about packing all of your camping gear on your bike (unless you want to skip the car altogether and ride your bike from home to Heritage Farms).
Here is our suggested list of what you'll need:
- You will need your own bicycle.
- Helmet (required)
- Headlight and taillight (required)
- Water bottles with water or sports drink
- Cycling clothing (appropriate for the weather)
- Casual clothing for hanging out at camp
- Camp sleeping pad
- Sleeping bag
- Camp pillow
- Headlamp or flashlight for getting around the campsite after dark
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, medications, any other personal items and toiletries you need
- Mosquito repellent spray
- Optional: Snacks and beverages for the evening and morning
If you've never been on one of our Night Rides on the Towpath Trail before, please see this page for general information, preparation and safety tips, and photos and videos from past rides.
Heritage Farms Facilities
Available at Heritage Farms:
- Water for washing (non-drinkable)
- Central campfire area
- Picnic tables
- Firewood for purchase
- Bottled drinking water for purchase ($1 each)
- You may bring your own camp stove, food, and drinking water
NOT ALLOWED at Heritage Farms:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Outside firewood
- Fires at individual camp sites
We have eight camp sites reserved. Each camp site accommodates a maximum of two tents/four people each, so join up with your family and friends!
Join us and have fun!
If you've never taken an overnight trip on your bike before, it's FUN and EASIER than you think! Our staff are bike-camping enthusiasts, and will be there to help you every step of the way. We've taken numerous Sub 24-Hour Overnights ourselves, and have even written an article on the subject for a local fitness magazine!