Now, a bi-partisan bill in Congress, introduced by Rep. Albio Sires (D-NJ), would take steps to advance equity for bicyclists and pedestrians, and boost funding for bike/ped projects low-income communities.
Take action now - tell your member of Congress to support H.R. 3978!
The New Opportunities for Bicycle and Pedestrian Infrastructure Financing Act of 2014 (NOBPIFA) will allow communities to take advantage of low-cost financing for projects that make streets and sidewalks safer for all users through a new federal credit assistance program that would direct millions specifically for low-income communities.
This innovative bill:
- Creates a low-interest long-term loan program for communities to build biking and walking networks.
- 25% of the funding must be spent in low income communities
- The funding, $11 million, is a set aside from the $1 billion dollar TIFIA loan program funded in MAP-21.
- Offers a new tool for Mayors and local governments to finance needed transportation infrastructure.
- And doesn't add any new costs to the transportation bill, or to the federal budget.
If you believe bicycling should be safe for everyone, tell your Representative to support H.R. 3978 today!
Click the link below to log in and send your message: