Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Free Bike Safety Fairs: May 4 in Rocky River, May 5 in Bay Village
Free and open to the public, each bicycle safety fair invites people to bring their bicycles for a free safety inspection and have the chance to win a bicycle helmet, get a free bike license and learn about the benefits of bicycling.
The bicycle safety fairs are part of the first annual Rocky River Bike To School Challenge and the 4th Annual Bay Bike To School Challenge, both scheduled for May 9-27. The Bike To School Challenges strive to inspire over 2,000 students to ride their bikes to school as much as possible for three weeks, to improve their health, help the environment, and inspire the community to use a bicycle for short trips around town.
At the Bicycle Safety Fairs:
• Professional bicycle mechanics from Century Cycles bicycle store in Rocky River will provide free bicycle safety inspections, display essential bike commuting gear, and hand out flyers with bicycle safety tips and etiquette.
• Century Cycles and Raleigh Bicycles are teaming up to give away 20 bicycle helmets to the first 20 families who attend each fair (limit: one helmet per family).
• University Hospitals’ Rainbow Injury Prevention Center, Safe Kids Coalition, and Why Not Wear A Helmet will be on hand to communicate the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet and will assist Century Cycles staff with helmet fittings.
• Informational booths, including one hosted by Bike to School Challenge organizers, who will be available to answer questions about the program.
• The Bay Village and Rocky River Police Departments will be providing free bike licenses.
The sponsors of Rocky River Middle School Bike to School Challenge are Century Cycles, Fuel Up to Play 60, Raleigh Bicycles, Chipotle, Honey Hut, Bay Lanes, and Rocky River Middle School PTA. The sponsors of Bay Bike To School Challenge are Century Cycles, Raleigh Bicycles, Chipotle, Honey Hut, Bay Lanes, Project Earth Environmental Club, Bay Skate and Bike Park Foundation, Bay Kiwanis, and Bay PTAs.
For more information and regular updates about Bay and Rocky River Bike to School Challenges, go to www.centurycycles.com/to/bts.