The benefits of cycling-specific shoes apply to pedaling a spinning bike the same as they do when riding a regular bike:
- Stiff soles provide more efficient energy transfer from your legs to the pedals.
- Clip-in mechanism allows you to apply force throughout the entire pedal stroke, rather than an alternating up-and-down force.
- More safe and secure -- your feet won't slip off of the pedals, which is a common problem when using regular sneakers, especially when pedaling the spinning bike while standing up.
- Helps promote good pedaling form by encouraging a smooth, circular pedal stroke.
Many cyclists prefer to use the more casual sneaker-like style of cycling shoes for spinning classes. The benefits of this type of shoe are:
- Athletic-shoe styling looks at home throughout the gym.
- Rubber soles provide cross-training functionality for comfortable use on weight machines and other gym equipment.
- Recessed cleat mounting means that you won't slip on the cleat or damage floors as you walk.
Pearl Izumi Women's X-Alp Seek ($84.99)
Pearl Izumi Men's X-Alp Seek ($84.99)
Shimano SH-MT21 Unisex ($59.99)
Shimano SH-MT41G Unisex ($79.99)
The cleats are usually provided when you buy a pair of pedals for a bike, so don't forget that you'll also need to purchase the cleats to attach to any of these shoes to let you use them on the bikes in the gym. We've got these in stock as well, and we'll mount them to your shoes for you at no extra charge!